photo provided courtesy of affairsofliving.com
This is a delicious side dish that is easy to prepare. To make it a main course, toss it with cooked pasta, rice or quinoa, add white beans or cooked chicken, and stir in more pesto, to taste. Serve hot or chilled for a wonderful, versatile dish.
4 medium zucchini
1/2 cup pesto, or more to taste (recipe follows)
2-3 Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
1-2 tsp lemon zest
finely sliced basil
lemon wedges/lemon juice
sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- Heat a heavy bottom saute pan and add pumpkin seeds. Toast until golden and starting to pop. Remove from heat.
- Add oil to saute pan, and heat over medium heat. Add sliced zucchini, stir to coat, and saute over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes, until just slightly softened and lightly browned. Remove from heat and place in serving bowl.
- Toss with pesto, adding sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Serve hot or chilled, garnish with pumpkin seeds, lemon zest, basil, and lemon wedges or a squeeze of lemon juice.
Garlic Scape & Spinach Pesto ingredients
This pesto can be used a multitude of ways – toss with raw or cooked vegetables or pasta, use as a flavorful base for dressings and sauces, or use as a spread in sandwiches or wraps.
1 cup chopped garlic scapes
3 cups fresh spinach, lightly packed
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves, packed
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, toasted
1/2-1 cup olive oil, or mix of olive oil and cold chicken or vegetable broth
juice & zest of 1 1/2 large lemons
- Toast pumpkin seeds in a sauté pan over medium until golden and starting to pop, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool while preparing other ingredients.
- Place garlic scapes and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and process until lightly chopped, then add spinach and herbs, and continue processing until just starting to mix. Slowly add olive oil/broth and continue to blend until smooth, scraping sides as necessary, until desired consistency is reached.
- Add pumpkin seeds and blend until fine, and you have a coarse, grainy mixture. Add more oil or lemon juice as necessary.
- Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze in ice cube trays, then transfer to freezer bags. Thaw in refrigerator or at room temperature.
makes 4 servings of zucchini, 2 cups of pesto
recipe courtesy affairsofliving.com