photo provided courtesy of affairsofliving.com
• 1/4 cup cashews
• 1/2 cup oats
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• pinch salt
optional: 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
optional: 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup, agave nectar, or other liquid sweetener
• 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
• 1 1/2 cup cashews
• 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch/flour
• 6 Tbsp cold coconut oil or butter
• pinch sea salt
• 1/4 tsp cinnamon
• 1 Tbsp ice cold water
• 3 1/2 – 4 cups sweet potato puree (from 4 large, baked sweet potatoes, about 3 1/2 – 4 pounds)
• 1 cup cooked white beans (yes, beans – trust me)
• 8 pitted and chopped medjool dates, soaked in 1/2 cup warm water
• 1 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened hemp milk this time, but have used coconut, rice, and cashew also. Any non-dairy milk should work)
• stevia liquid
• 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
• 1 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract or flavoring
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp ginger
• 1/2 tsp nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp allspice
- Bake the potatoes: Prick each potato a few times and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350º F, until soft. Remove from oven and let cool while making crust. Leave oven on.
- HINT: soak dates now if you haven’t already!
- Prepare the crumble and the crust: Lightly toast 3/4 cashews in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan, and remove from heat. Then toast 2 cups of oats, and remove from Heat. Set aside until cooled slightly.
- Make the crumble first by placing 1/4 cup oats and 1/4 cup cashews and in the food processor/Vitamix and lightly chop, leaving coarse “crumbly” chunks. Mix in a bowl with remaining 1/4 oats and other crumble ingredients, and set aside.
- To make the crust, place remaining cashews and oats in food processor/Vitamix and grind until fine, like flour. It’s okay if there are still a few chunks. Transfer to a bowl and add remaining dry crust ingredients. Then cut in cold oil, until you have a course, dry, crumbly dough. Add water and mix until just sticky. Pat evenly into the bottom of a lightly oiled 9″x13″ pan. Rinse out the food processor/vitamix.
- Make the filling: Peel the cooled potatoes and place in the food processor/vitamix. Process until smooth, scraping sides as needed. Remove excess potato puree, and then add remaining filling ingredients and puree until totally smooth.
- Bake! Spread the filling over the crust and bake in the preheated 350º F oven for 40 minutes. Then sprinkle crumble over surface and bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Let cool completely before eating; filling will thicken. Store in the refrigerator. I like these best after they are cooled completely in the fridge, then allowed to sit out for about 30 minutes before eating. Slice and serve. Best eaten with a fork.
makes (1) 9″x13″ pan
recipe courtesy affairsofliving.com