a delicious gluten-free, allergy-friendly, whole foods recipe
photo provided courtesy of affairsofliving.com
Sweet and aromatic, this compote is excellent served warm or chilled. For a simple fruit dessert, it can be served alone, or spooned over yogurt or ice cream. It is also very good served over pancakes or waffles. For a savory twist, serve alongside grilled or roasted pork or chicken. The flavors of this dish are perfect for autumn, so freeze some of your rhubarb to use later on this year when the seasons change!
• 3 cups rhubarb, sliced in 1-inch x ½-inch pieces (about 1 pound rhubarb) – use either fresh or frozen (not thawed)
• 3 apples, quartered, cored, and chopped in 1-inch x ½-inch pieces (about 1 pound apples)
• ½ cup raisins or currants
• 1 cup apple juice
• 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground cardamom
• ½ tsp ground nutmeg
• ¼ cup honey or maple syrup (or more or less, to taste)
• 2 tsp lemon juice
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare rhubarb and apples as directed. Place in a saucepan with raisins/currants, apple juice, and spices. Bring to a high simmer over medium-high heat, then turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in honey, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Replace cover and let sit for 3-5 more minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving, mixture will thicken as it cools. This is also excellent served chilled.
makes about 1 quart
recipe courtesy affairsofliving.com