These dark chocolate brownies are lightly-sweetened with dates and packed with other Paleo perks such as coconut oil. photo provided courtesy of elanaspantry.com
These Paleo brownies are simply unbelievable- moist, chocolatey, and full of gluten-free goodness. They will knock the socks off of even the most die-hard gluten-full brownie lover. All of my taste testers said they could not believe these Paleo Brownies were not only gluten-free, but grain-free as well.
Sweetened with a mere seven dates in the entire batch of brownies, and a bit of stevia, these Paleo Brownies are also full of rich coconut oil and dark chocolate. And when I say “dark chocolate” I mean super dark chocolate –as in 100% cacao with no added sugar.
I tested this fudgey dairy-free dessert with two different brands of 100% chocolate, using Ghirardelli in some batches and Life Opening Chocolate in others; both worked equally well. Ghirardelli is cheaper, and Life Opening is organic.
• 1 cup blanched almond flour
• ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• 4 ounces baking chocolate (100% cacao)
• 7 Medjool dates (1/2-2/3 cup) pits removed
• 3 large eggs
• ½ cup coconut oil, melted
• ½ teaspoon vanilla stevia
- In a food processor, pulse together almond flour, salt and baking soda
- Pulse in squares of dark chocolate until the texture of coarse sand
- Pulse in dates until the texture of coarse sand
- Pulse in eggs
- Pulse in coconut oil and stevia until mixture is smooth
- Transfer mixture to a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Mixture will be very thick, smooth with a spatula
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes
- Cool for 2 hours, then serve
makes (16) brownies
When you make these brownies be sure that your dates are not hard and too dry or you will end up with a crumbly mess. Mine were beautifully moist which helped the batter come out perfectly. Don’t use dates that have been sitting around for months.
recipe courtesy elanaspantry.com